Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Good, the Bad, and the Downright Crazy

There are lots of professors at Laverne. Many more than I will ever have or will ever want to have. But, in my young sophomore age I think I have been through quite a lot of the craziest ones. In the Honors program, I took a class my Freshman year about French Feminism. It was co-taught, and one of the teachers, who shall remain nameless for her safety and for mine, was needless to say a bit eccentric. The second day of class she ran around pounding on the long white desks with her fist screaming "This is NOT a table!" at the top of her lungs. Come to find out, that very table was a cat. Go figure. The rest of my dumbfounded class and I had to listen to ridiculous lectures about barbie dolls and cat-tables till December. Another crazy teacher I had was also in the Honors program and he shall also remain nameless, although I can tell you he is very old, very kindly, very blind, and very very scary. If we didn't know the exact name of some unimportant person in some unimportant battle in the exact month of the exact year he was looking for...oh forget it (to quote him directly, in fact)! And this wasn't just top-of-your-head, easy common knowledge stuff. This was information only available if you took your Masters in the history of 1601-1602. Deep, nitpicky stuff. And the mere fact that we didn't understand Goethe's Faust, one of the hardest books to read EVER, brought him to tears. Literally tears. There is a certain English professor who will gladly talk to you about Star Wars for an hour, but will shove you out his door, desperately in search of the advising you came for in the first place, leaving you stuck to sort through all the classes alone with the Star Wars theme replaying in the back of your mind. There is an art teacher with a penchant for extremely un-accomplishable cardboard rock projects and a drama teacher who, even though you performed a two song musical, complete with costumes, live performances and DANCING, will still give you a B. And it wasn't even a drama class, but a lit/history one. And it was the first time you sang. In public. Ever. I am sure I will encounter many more teachers like this in the near future, and although they can be crazy, they are definitely never boring.

2 comments:

  1. This was really good, I have had insane teachers as well and it made me think about the experiences I've had. I've had a teacher jump and blow a dart gun from some foreign country across the room. This was really funny and I agree with odd teachers never being boring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey
    jumping teacher
    i never had one
    wonder what i will be thinking
    watching my teacher jump around crazy
    cool post
    do write more
    i enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete