So I like to think that I work better under pressure. Sometimes it's true, but that's besides the point. Whether I do or don't, the fact of the matter is that over the course of my college career, I have become, to some extent, a procrastinator. And I defend the "to some extent" because I don't leave EVERYTHING till the last minute, just dreadful homework like long take-home midterm essays, like today's.
I promised myself I was going to finish it last night before I went to bed and...I didn't keep my promise. Instead, I was tempted to drive home (after my field trip to the zoo with middle school kids for my service learning class) because my mom made caldo de res. To tell you the truth, it's not nearly one of my favorite dishes she makes but it was good enough for an excuse to avoid staying on campus to do my midterm. So I went home! While home on a random Wednesday afternoon, I cleaned my closet. Yes, I cleaned my closet, a weird and obsessive habit I have. I love organizing my closet and my drawers. It keeps me busy when I shouldn't be kept busy and it makes me feel good, on task, clean and it clears my mind; I love it.
It was soon 5:00 o' clock and my mom's soap opera was on so I sat with her to watch it. "Midterm, Angie...midterm" lurked my mind but I ignored it. It worked. A commercial for hot chocolate came on the t.v. and I mentioned I wanted some so my mom said she would make some while my sister and I went to the store to buy sweet bread to go with it.
8:00 o' clock came and I was out of soap operas. My little sister came home from cheer practice so I made my way into her room, anything to avoid my laptop and the novels laying on it.
At 9:00 pm I was happy to receive a surprise visit. My cousin and his wife came to visit and had some hot chocolate with us.
When they left, I was running out of excuses! Oh wait-no-I had the biggest time consuming excuse yet-I called my boyfriend. I talked for about an hour before I decided showering would also take up time. So I did.
By then, 11:00 o' clock, my boyfriend called me. I realized I did want to get some sleep so I actually took out my laptop and started writing my essay. It was running smooth when I started to get sleepy. It was a shame, because I did have some good ideas at that time but I really wanted to go to sleep.
I promised myself (like I had any other choice) that I would work on it the following day since it was due until 6:30 for my night class.
To make my long story short, I finished my assignment at 3:00 pm or so but not before browsing through E-bay, checking my e-mail ten times, and grabbing some coffee.
Next time, I will promise myself to start my assignment the day it is assigned-isn't that what everyone does??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment