Thursday, October 15, 2009

a run through the residential area of small-town la verne.

I went for a run today right before class. It was kind of annoying because since Thursday is pin attire day for Sigma Kappa, I'm supposed to be wearing my dressy clothes until 6 PM. This presented a predicament, because class started, as you all know, at 4:30. I couldn't decide where I should run, then shower and change back into my dressy clothes before class started, or if I should run and then just go to class in my workout clothes anyway, or just screw it all and take a nap.

I love living on campus because it presents the opportunity to literally do anything right before class.

Anyway, so I was running. And I dont really know where I'm going around here, because im definitely not from around here, so im sort of just aimlessly weaving through the residential streets. It's all good though - I get a nice look at everyone's decorations. Don't you just love those fake tombstones with the names like "Emma Ghoul" or "I.M. Gone" or whatever. They make me chuckle. I wonder who the first person to put up Halloween decorations was.. people probably thought that person was going way overboard. I mean, there's this holiday that everyone knows about, but only one person has spiders dangling from the windows and ghosts in the front yard. But, hey, obviously they were doing something right, because it caught on. Everyone does it these days, especially the La Vernians whose homes I pass by on my wierd route'd runs.

So I was running, and it made me think how I hate when i'm walking down the street in athletic gear. I mean, it makes me feel almost guilty because people expect more from me. Like, one time, I was walking to volleyball practice, so I was walking down the street in my workout shorts, workout shirt, and running shoes. There was this lady behind me, and she was running. When she passed me, I felt dumb, because I was walking behind her in all my workout gear as she jogged a little ways ahead of me. So what did I do?

I started jogging too.

But, of course, I had my backpack on, with a change of clothes and water bottles in it, so it was weighing me down, and by this point, I was running practically on her heels. She probably thought I was crazy.

But at least the cars driving by didn't think I was lazy!

Well, yeah. I decided to go for a run and forget about putting the dressy clothes back on, because by the time class is over, I technically won't have to be wearing them anyway. No one will ever know the difference.

2 comments:

  1. Very inspirational! i think i might go out for a run tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theyre pretty creative too. I saw one house that had a severed head hanging over the top of a well.

    ReplyDelete