Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why I Wish I Would Have Attended This School One Year Later

There are good intentions behind it. I would appreciate it, I really would, had they not made it so awfully difficult to. I like thinking critically about the world around me. I do not like repeating the same discussion every single day. Think critically. Have an open mind. We talked that to absolute death. Which I never really understood since you could get that it was a class about critical thinking from the freaking title. I like the environment and I like nature. I fact, I love trees. I do not like repeating the same discussion every single day in this class either. We have to take care of the environment. The Earth is precious. Yeah, I agree. But I got that the first day I was in this class. There is no need to belabor the point. I get it. This is how the core classes here at the fine University of La Verne go. Its a semester long class where you repeat yourself every single day. As a reward for this inane babbling, you are awarded four whole units. This is not the case with core classes 305 and 310. Here's where the good intentions come in. Core 305 is community service. I am all for that. I am not at all for writing five papers about why you should do community service. I don't know how many times you can write- it's nice, you should help people. Core 310 gets you to think about and immerse yourself in other cultures. I am all for that. I love diversity. I do not love writing a three page journal about every cultural event I attend. I do not love that we have to read books about the history of cultures. And only the history. No biographies, no book that contains anything at all that would satisfy interest for more than a whopping three seconds. Your prize for these two gems of classes? One singular unit. Is this absurd? Absolutely. More absurd is that they changed the rules the year after I got here. I'm not knocking the intent. I like it. It produces a well rounded person. Now, so I've heard, you can take classes that meet the core requirements that are not the core classes. I looooooove this idea. I don't understand how no one though of this before. Nor do I understand how it now doesn't apply to me. I really, really wish it did.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even know what a core class was until I read this, I'm sorry you had to go through everything and they changed it right after, that is so frustrating. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete