Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why we paint the rock

Why do we paint the rock in front of Founders Hall? It's just a rock. I know it's supposed to be tradition, but it's a stupid one. Why is it tradition? I don't even know. They should at least explain the meaning behind it. If they have something to announce to us, they should post it around the school, not on some stupid rock. Does anybody even care why we paint the rock? They should stop painting it and leave it like a normal rock, like it's supposed to be.

5 comments:

  1. But if it were a normal rock, it would look so boring ! I think it started out as a tiny pebble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Blanca ...
    Well actually Nicole I think that its cool that we paint the rock!! I don't know the meaning to why we paint the rock .. and if its a tradition or not but I like it!!!! So stop talking bad about the rock and just be happy we paint the rock.. we give it its own personality'!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I've never understood the point of painting a rock either. Rocks aren't meant to be painted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard that the dirt around the rock used to be extremely hazardous because of all the lead in the paint and paint thinner that was dumped on it nearly everyday, that's why there's a cement layer around its base. just a rumor i guess but its believable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think the rock is used in lieu of ULV letters. To explain myself a little better: some schools have their initials embedded on a side of hill or bushes carved with their initials. Cal Poly Pomona has CPP on top of a little mountain which can be seen off the 10 freeway. Since La Verne is a small school we have a little rock. Fraternities and sororities on campus make their pledges decorate it as part of their pledging process...i think its a waste of time but i have to say its better than not having anything there. A little color makes it looks a lot better than just bare.

    ReplyDelete